Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Fifth (and final) Audio Sample from Trek01


On my return trip I again wanted to find a more focused audio source. Up the road from the Midwest Tunnel in downtown Milwaukee I found two sewer covers on the street that were no more than two feet apart. But even with them being so close, the stereo separation was wide. The lower one, or the southerly one, had an industrial vent fan assisting the ventilation of the sewers, and the upper one, the northerly one, was a drain for incoming pipes from different areas of the block. The diversity in sound ranged from the fluffy, constant low-frequency hum of the fan to the high-frequency, unpredictable dripping of the drains.
Taking the right mike and putting it on the north drain and the left mike on the south fan, what I recorded is suprisingly exactly what caught my attention in the first place; the two sounds just don't mix! I believe the mikes did a good job at capturing it, especially with the ever-present traffic noise, but I still recommend wearing headphones to listen to this sample.

Drains

No comments: