Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Fourth Audio Sample from Trek01


OK, enough with ambient sound. Let's concentrate on a focused source, something I may be able to control.
As I rounded the corner at the Midwest Tunnel in downtown Milwaukee, there was a gentleman performing a noise-creating action I was, in fact, looking for: shoveling snow. I politely asked if I could record him and he obliged, but only after asking me what time it was. I didn't know, but he didn't seem to mind.
Standing 6 feet from him, he traversed a parallel path that measured approximately 15-20 feet long. He was also avoidably fighting the grooves in the sidewalk, but I didn't want to say anything. His abrupt stops made for good sounds, and some inside laughter.
I handheld the mikes, keeping about 4 feet inbetween them. I got a decent stereo affect, which is acceptable because I don't think an extreme separation was necessary. Besides, the listener may get nauseous!
(NOTE: For those who've never experienced snow, this is a sound that echoes throughout the Frozen Tundra.)

Shoveling Snow