
The moment has arrived. Here is my very first Audio Sample on only my second blog entry!
What we have here is an ambient recording of the Lake Michigan east coast in Shorewood at Big Bay Park on North Palisades Road. Braving the bitter cold of the 11th of February, I headed to the lake in hopes of recording the ice cracking. I knew that the location would be prime, and that the dock would allow me to walk out and get a full-circle feeling.
So taking the two condensor mikes that I had, I hung the right one over the right side of the dock, and the left on the left. I figured this would give incredible separation to the recording, and indeed it did. There was very little movement of water, but flowing underneath the ice it needed a place to exit, and you can clearly hear it escaping, more so on the right than the left. There was a bigger hole. But the best part about this recording is the faint cracking of the ice in the background. It comes into play almost immediately. And if you listen close enough, you can actually hear windchimes from a house almost a mile away. Amazing how sound can travel in a deadened environment in the cold of night.
Here's the link:
Ice Cracking
It's best to listen to it with headphones in a silent environment, but do what you can. Comments are more than welcome. And check back soon for the map and panorama.
I've included detailed maps for your information as to where exactly I was located when I performed the recordings. They give a rough overview and hopefully shed a little light on what my experience was like. The map on Sample #2 is an overview of the downtown Milwaukee location.
No comments:
Post a Comment