Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Second Audio Sample from Trek01


Once I acquired the 'magic' from the lakefront, I proceeded towards downtown Milwaukee. I knew that traffic noise is an everyday anomoly, so I wanted to stear clear from that, unless of course I found something interesting. Obviously, walking downtown will unavoidably find traffic noise, but I went with it anyway and did my best to record it in a fashion other than normal.
For this next example I walked underneath the Midwest Tunnel downtown. My initial thought, or idea, was that being a low ceilinged structure it must have an awful time making sense of itself. I was right.
I positioned myself in the middle of the tunnel, south side of the road. There are potters, or fixtures for plants to grow in, located between each massive supporting column, and I thought the mikes would do well positioned on the one I was facing. I again spread the mikes about 4 feet apart, the left one facing the west and the right east. Keep in mind the traffic travels west to east only, as it is a one-way road.
I don't want to go into much detail on the recording as I believe it speaks for itself quite well, but I do want to ask a question: is what you're hearing just recorded sounds, or does it take on a life, almost as if there are notes being played in a mechanized and reverberated environment? (The ceaseless traffic creating the underscore whilst the voices carry the tune.)
Let me know what you think.

Tunnel Talkers

Looking at this map, I labeled my position in the tunnel as X1, my position at the snow shoveler as X2, and my spot at the drains as X3. This map serves as an overview of the area, the others will show more detailed views.

1 comment:

jisun said...

It reminds me movies about scientific socialism; I don't know why. This gives mysterious atmosphere, which actually I feel familiar with. I like this a lot since it creates fictional images and emotion. Good job!